If you’re looking for a new car, consider buying a used Audi. You can save money and move up to a luxury car at the same time. The Audi has an excellent reputation for reliability and a superior driving experience.
Buying a Used Audi – Should You?
If you’re looking at new cars, has sticker shock struck yet? With new car prices rising every year, more and more Americans are looking at used cars.
That’s especially true if you want to buy a luxury brand. When you buy used, you get more car for your money. Depending on the model, you can buy a used Audi for about the price of new Ford.
And if driving experience is a big part of what you’re looking for, driving an economy car just won’t give you the satisfaction you get from driving an Audi. The chance to go Audi is a big incentive to buy used.
Audi has a reputation for attention to detail and premium materials, from wood ornaments to superior leather. Audi is often cited as having the best designed interiors in the industry. Design is important on these cars, with an emphasis on a clean look with a luxurious feel.
Another reason to consider buying a used Audi is they pretty much invented all-wheel drive for passenger cars back in the 1980’s. As a result most Audi’s produced are all-wheel drive which makes them capable of handling all manner of road conditions. This is a particularly important feature to have if you experience snow and ice in the winter months.
The advantages don’t stop there. Here are 4 more practical reasons to buy a luxury car that’s used.
- Less depreciation. Did you know that a new car will often lose 50 percent of its value over 4 years? In most cases, a used luxury car depreciates less than a new car over a same period of time.
- Independent mechanics and repair shops. With a knowledgeable independent mechanic on your side, you don’t have to worry about going to the dealership for repair and maintenance. Just make sure the shop you choose has experience with Audis. And include your mechanic from the get-go – a pre-purchase inspection is an absolute must for any used car.
- Safety equipment. Many safety features are first introduced on luxury cars before they make it onto economy brands. For example, the 2009 Audi A3 comes with night vision, integrated turn signal mirrors, child safety locks, adjustable pedals, land departure warning, a rollover protection system and a blind spot monitor.
- Comfort and convenience. Luxury cars are usually the first, often by years, to have the features that add a higher level of comfort and convenience to the drive, like automatic and zoned climate control. A luxury car that’s 4 years old can have more high-end features than a new economy car.
- Reliability. Over the last 20 years, cars have been built to last longer. In 2015, the average car on the road was over 11 years old. By 2020, experts expect a rise of 15 percent in the number of drive-worthy cars that are 12-years and older. And drivers love the fact that Audi has a reputation for reliability.
Why Audi, of all the luxury models out there? Consumer Reports ranked Audi #1, with the highest overall brand score, in its 2017 Brand Report Card. U.S. News & World Report scored several 2009 and later Audi vehicles high in rankings for used cars and SUVs.
Best Audi Models to Buy Used
2009 Audi A3
The streamlined looks of the 2009 Audi A3 hatchback go hand in hand with its sports car performance. It scores high in safety features. The car seats 5, though the rear seat is somewhat cramped. Drivers and passengers love the leather seats and satellite radio.
U.S. News & World Report ranks the 2009 Audi A3 high in 4 areas: it is #1 in used luxury small cars, under $20,000; #1 in used hatchbacks under $10,000; #1 in luxury small cars for the year 2009; and #1 in hatchbacks for 2009.
It gets a respectable 18-22 mpg in the city, 25-30 on the highway. The engine delivers 200 to 250 hp. The drivetrain is front wheel drive, and some models have all wheel drive.
2010 Audi Q5
The 2010 Audi Q5 is a powerful compact SUV, with a V6 engine delivering 270 hp and 243 pounds/feet of torque. If you need to tow a boat or trailer, this model is a sporty way to do it. This is an all wheel drive vehicle.
Drivers like the way it handles much like a sports car and provides a spacious, comfortable interior that seats 5. It has leather upholstery, climate control and satellite radio, and the Audi infotainment system.
It has a limited amount of cargo space—a common feature of compact SUVs. It delivers 18 mpg city and 23 on the highway. U.S. News & World Report ranked it #2 in luxury compact SUVs for 2010, and #3 for used luxury compact SUVs under $25,000.
2010 Audi A6
The 2010 Audi A6 mid-size sedan has a roomy, even luxurious cabin area that seats 5. Drivers and passengers especially like the seating, that gives support in every position. The cabin has upscale wood trim and metal accents.
It’s a powerful car, delivering 265-350 hp. It handles well, with Quattro all-wheel drive, and received top safety scores. The car gets 16 to 18 mpg in the city, 23 to 28 on the highway.
Some drivers complain that the multimedia system is confusing, but praised the 10-speaker stereo and satellite radio. U.S. News & World Report ranked it #2 in 2010 luxury midsize cars and #5 in used luxury midsize cars under $20,000.
2012 Audi A4
The 2012 Audi A4 luxury small car gets high marks for its comfortable interior cabin, which seats 5. The front offers plenty of leg, though the rear is a bit cramped. The car has leather upholstery, climate control and power-adjustable seats. To keep driver and passengers entertained, it comes with 10 speakers for its stereo, satellite radio and the Audi infotainment center.
The engine is turbocharged and 4-cylinder, delivering 211 hp. Fuel mileage is 21 to 22 in the city and 29 to 31 on the highway. It gets high marks for responsive steering and brakes.
U.S. News & World Report ranked it #3 in 2012 luxury small cars and #11 in used luxury small cars under $20,000.
2013 Audi A3
The 2013 Audi A3 is a hatchback with a turbocharged, 4-cylinder engine, with 140 to 200 hp., optionally with a diesel engine. It gets 21 to 30 mpg in the city, and 28 to 42 on the highway. Drivers like the way it handles well, both sporty and comfortable.
The car seats 5, and has a large cargo space, for its size. Drivers like the headroom and legroom in front, but mention the somewhat cramped legroom in the rear. It has leather upholstery, climate control, and a stereo with 10 speakers.
U.S. News & World Report rates it #7 in 2013 luxury small cars, #12 in 2013 hatchbacks, and #20 in used hatchbacks that sell for $15,000+.
2013 Audi A4
The 2013 Audi A4 gets high marks for quick acceleration and good mileage for a midsize car. The engine delivers 211 to 333 hp. It brakes well and is agile and easy to steer. It gets 17 to 24 mpg in the city and 26 to 32 on the highway.
The interior is well designed, with plenty of leg and head room in front. Leather upholstery and a sunroof are standard, along with the Audi infotainment center.
U.S. News & World Report gives it #2 ranking in 2013 luxury small cars and #2 in used luxury small cars selling for $20, 000+.
2013 Audi A6
The 2013 Audi A6 has plenty of power and the engine provides 211 to 420 hp. It gets great fuel economy, 17 to 25 in the city, 27 to 33 on the highway.
The car seats 5. Drivers and passengers love the interior, which is roomy, attractive, and made with excellent materials. The trunk is a bit small, according to some users, who also consider the rear seating cramped.
U.S. News & World Report ranks it #7 in used 2013 luxury midsize cars, and #5 in used luxury midsize cars selling for $20,000 to $25,000.
2013 Audi Q5
The Audi 2013 Q5 is an SUV that gets high marks for fuel economy, getting 18 to 24 in the city and 26 to 30 on the highway. The 4-cylinder engine is turbocharged, providing 211 to 272 hp. Drivers like its passing speed and overall agility, especially when making turns.
The interior, with room for 5, is roomy and attractive. Front seats have power adjustability and leather upholstery. Both front and back seats have plenty of head and leg room. People like the tri-zone climate control and Audi infotainment system.
U.S. News & World Report ranks it #1 in 2013 luxury compact SUVs and #9 in used luxury compact SUVs selling for $25,000+.
6 Tips for Buying the Best Used Audi
A used Audi is still a used car. Like the old saying, “Why buy someone else’s troubles?” How can you be sure the used Audi you buy has been treated well? How can you avoid a lemon?
Here are 6 tips to help you get the best used Audi possible.
- Receipts for maintenance and repairs. When you’re checking out a car from a private seller, always ask to see his receipts for repair work and scheduled maintenance. First, you see that he’s got the work done in a timely manner. Second, you can calculate how costly it’s been to keep the car working.
- Vehicle history report. Pay for a vehicle history report before buying. Carfax and AutoCheck provide these, based on the Vehicle Identification Number, VIN. Among other information, the report tells you how many people have owned it, whether it was leased or owned, validation of its mileage, and accident and flood history.
- Research, research, research. Find out which models have the features you’re interested in. Go to online automotive forums to find out what drivers think of specific models and features. Know what you want and which models provide the driving experience you’re looking for.
- Compare prices. You can do a lot of this online. Find out what cars are available close in your area and what people are selling them for. Then check 50+ miles further away. A car, even a used one, is a major investment. You might get a significantly better deal that makes it worth your while to invest an hour or two of driving time.
- Test drive. Take the Audi you’re considering out for a long test drive. Around the block isn’t enough. Check it out on the freeway and places you regularly drive.
- Pre-purchase inspection. Before buying, always take a vehicle into an experienced mechanic. Make sure they are knowledgeable about the Audi. This is the most crucial step to ensure your used Audi buying experience is successful.
Click here to receive a consultation or make an appointment today!
We look forward to serving you.
Ready for a new car? For a great driving experience and recognized reliability, consider buying a used Audi.